Free Range Hymns
Nathan Bontrager – Frances Crowhill Miller – Daryl Snider
Physical CD delivered to you—BEST VALUE Download
- Physical CD: click the $15 button. You also get a free download.
- Download: minimum $10 full album or $0.99/track—thanks for your support!
- Downloads are high-resolution 320kbps MP3 audio files.
- Full album download includes PDF booklet with liner notes.
Arrangements and Improvisations: The hymns of this album are from our shared upbringing in Mennonite traditions. Cultural and religious practices vary greatly among Mennonite communities, yet they have a common Anabaptist (Protestant Christian) heritage—and a long history of singing together, conventionally unaccompanied and in 4-part harmony. For many Mennonites, one of the most enduring and compelling parts of their heritage is the singing. Singing together connects us.
Instruments were considered “worldly” or even sinful in Mennonite communities until relatively recently—the late 20th century. As instrumentalists and singers, we wish both to honor the 4-part singing tradition and to appreciate the expanded palette of sounds—and the impact—that instruments offer.
- Cover art by Amanda Gross
- Design by Michael Eby-Good
- Recording and Mixing by Rusty Richards